Jones alleges UFC withholding Aspinall matchmaking update

Jones alleges UFC withholding Aspinall matchmaking update

UFC heavyweight champion Jon Jones says that he has been crystal clear with the UFC over his intentions to fight Tom Aspinall – and has no idea why the organisation has yet to communicate this publicly.

Jones, champion since March 2023, has fought just three times since the start of 2020 and has so far failed to come to terms with the UFC over a title defence against England’s Aspinall – the interim champion since November of 2023.

And it’s not for a lack of trying. Aspinall has led a vocal campaign aimed at enticing Jones to either accept a bout agreement against him or to vacate the heavyweight title. And while neither of these steps have as of yet been taken, UFC boss Dana White is on record as saying that he is “100 percent confident” that the much-hyped fight will take place in 2025.

But with several key main events announced in recent days – up to and including UFC 319 in mid-August – it appears as if they may be running out of options, with only the promotion’s annual New York City card in November appearing to have the necessary gravitas to host the contest.

A crowded soccer stadium under bright lights at night, capturing the excitement of a live sports event.
Photo: George Zografidis / Pexels

But amid all of the speculation, Jones says that the UFC knows his stance – and doesn’t know why fans are not yet aware.

AdvertisementDon't Outlive Your Benefits — Long-Term Care insurance with unlimited LTC funds for as long as you live. Call 1-800-317-0625

“Y’all [are] barking up the wrong tree,” Jones wrote on social media on Monday in response to fan questions as to the Aspinall situation.

AdvertisementDon't Outlive Your Benefits — Long-Term Care insurance with unlimited LTC funds for as long as you live. Call 1-800-317-0625

“I told the UFC my plans a long time ago. I have no clue why they haven’t shared them with you guys yet.”

Group playing archery tag indoors with bows, arrows, and masks.
Photo: Newman Photographs / Pexels

The precise nature of Jones’ plans are sure to ignite further speculation as to the future of the two-division champion who turns 38 this summer.

AdvertisementDon't Outlive Your Benefits — Long-Term Care insurance with unlimited LTC funds for as long as you live. Call 1-800-317-0625

He has previously suggested that he is prioritising so-called ‘legacy fights’ with the likes of former 205-pound champion Alex Pereira over the likes of Aspinall – potentially setting in motion a scenario where he vacates or is stripped of the crown.

AdvertisementDon't Outlive Your Benefits — Long-Term Care insurance with unlimited LTC funds for as long as you live. Call 1-800-317-0625

Aspinall, for his part, has called on Jones to do just that – but with the preferable option of accepting a bout that White has called the “biggest heavyweight fight in UFC history.”

Read More

Join the conversation

Your email address will not be published. Be respectful — keep it constructive.

AdvertisementDon't Outlive Your Benefits — Long-Term Care insurance with unlimited LTC funds for as long as you live. Call 1-800-317-0625
AdvertisementDon't Outlive Your Benefits — Long-Term Care insurance with unlimited LTC funds for as long as you live. Call 1-800-317-0625